Durning these last two weeks there are two things that seem to posses Granada:rebajas and the Alhambra. I have been witness to both of these things. The rebajas are the end of the seasons sales. Everything is put at ridiculously low prices in Spain and perhaps all over Europe in preperation for the next season. From what I can tell the majority of Spanish women don´t mind wearing cloths a little out of season because they attack the stores with an unnatural fevor. Things are thrown everywhere and it is seriously crowed. A good comparison for any Bay Area folks would be Berkeley Bowl on a Sunday.
The Alhambra cannot help but to dominate Granada. It dominates the skyline with it´s beautiful architecture. Right now they are voting for the 7 man made wonders of the world and there are adverstisments everywhere to nominate the Alhambra. The Alhambra was built by the Moorish caliphs (kings) of Spain and is covered in the most amazing tile work. Even though the Moores were supposidly driven out of Spain around the same time of Christopher Columbus in 1492 I am still convinced that many Spainairds carry arabic blood with them. There are two women at the residence from Jordan and you can´t even tell them apart. They look very Spanish (or vice versa :) Spainairds, for the most part, are very proud of this heritage. Just as Granadas skyline is dominated by the Sierra Nevada mountains that surround it you can also see the Alhambra from many parts of the city. We´ll see if one of the women here lets me use their computer to put some photos in my blog. I´ll show you exactly what I mean. When I walk Granada by day that is what I notice...more to come later.
Wednesday, July 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment