Tuesday, June 26, 2007

flamenco...

I never suspected flamenco would be part of this trip. Anyone that knows me knows I don´t mind dancing in public as long as I don´t have to memorize steps and do it in front of any kind of audience. That has sort of ruled out dance classes in the past. When I went to this school I found on the internet to sign up for cooking classes they told me that I couldn´t take cooking classes but they did offer substainally more expensive language classes and flamenco. I am definitely a fan of flamenco but I don´t really know that much about it nor do I know don´t know anything about dancing it. When I signed up I was wondering what a flamenco teacher would be like. My image is a woman with a fierce expression on her face. When Ana showed up I wasn´t dissapointed. She´s a grandmother but still quite beautiful and with a powerful flamenco body. She approached me confrontationally wanted to what I knew about flamenco. When I told her the little I did know she told me I was entirely mistaken! That someone else had told her that they had heard something similar in an American film. Why are we always responsible for all the bad things people see on T.V.! Needless to say with my small phobia of dance classes and this confrontation I was ready to tell her I had wanted cooking classes and quit! I´m glad I held on though. Today she was infinitely more patient and she took me to her favorite store to help me buy a skirt and show me her beautiful house in the center. She even offered to give me classes at a reduced rate. I think it´s because I told her I too love Sex in The City! That show unifies a lot of women, it cracks me up! Today I also spoke to most of students by telephone. They all seem happy with their situations, tired, and struggling with the language. This is a very hard place to learn Spanish! Well more about my adventures and my crazy teacher. She´s preforming tomorrow night so I´m going to see her. Un beso para todos-Maggie

1 comment:

Peggy said...

I don't believe it - you are learning how to dance!! Don't misunderstand, it isn't as if I don't think you can learn, it's just that I've not ever noticed any interest in dancing since you were very little, at ballet class....
I'm very excited that you've chosen to take this class. And from a woman who, as you describe her, is something like what you are inside yourself. I picture her as something of a lioness, and I picture you like that sometimes, too. Now you'll have a new way to express that with the DANCE!!
Be safe, I love you, and have blessings for the Journey.
Mom