Saturday, June 16, 2007

Spain from a distance

I'm leaving on Wednesday for the my first job abroad. I'm being paid to chaperone 13 highschool students during a month long homestay/tour of Spain. I'm hoping this blog will help me a little reflective about what things mean to me while I'm traveling. Events always seem to rush past me so quickly and I sometimes regret not having more get up and go. This should help hold those moments a little more still and motivate me to find things to write about. I guess those 18 days when the students are with their host families I won't feel so alone because I'll be sharing those moments with all of you. That said, post any comments you might have about my travels/observations and for those of you "stuck" in your own respective corners of the world enjoy the ride through me. Whenever I leave the country things always seem to happen in much the same way. It's so hard to envision myself in that different world until I step into it. I've been seriously dissapointed these last few days because I applied for a Rotary scholarship to study abroad in an Arabic-speaking country and I found out I'll miss the interview portion during my trip. I struggled through the application and paid someone to help me translate it into French. Now I won't even be able to compete. I considered renigging on this trip. I talked to my Mom today and she told me I had to think about my integrity and the committment I had already made to do this trip. I think she's right. Every time I've made serious committments in my life I haven't backed down. Maybe that's why marriage and kids scare me so much. I guess that means I'll stay here in the States for grad school. UC Berkeley maybe..hmmm..I'll guess we'll see. More to come next week.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Aw, I'm sorry that you won't be able to compete for the Rotary scholarship. I know it's disappointing, (and this is cliche...) but everything happens for a reason.

Have a BLAST in Spain! I can't wait to read about all your adventures!

Patrice said...

Congratulations on this courageous adventure Maggie! Andrea is right- things certainly do happen for a reason, though (most times) we are unaware of their benefit until we can look back upon them.

Many blessings along the way! Look forward to reading your thoughts and adventures!

Love, Patrice

Peggy said...

I will miss you, sweet Daughter, but as you said, you already live far away and this will just be a little farther.
It will be so much more of an adventure for you since there are others who will be depending upon you and your already developed sense of the world.
Blessings for the Journey!!