It´s an interesting thing being almost completely alone in a foriegn country. I´ve noticed my life follows this theme. I feel alone surrounded by people or completely at home and cared for in the prescence of just a few people. I think that would justly describe why that contrast, alone or not alone, is a theme in my life. The women´s rescidence is a mess of activity eveyday and all the time. There are always around 50 girls between the ages of 18 and 24 fighting, smiling, talking over eachother at any given meal. Considering they are doing all these things in Spanish it´s a little overwhelming at times. Most don´t recognize me and ask why I´m here and smile and are impressed by California. I think feeling a little off balance is normal. I can´t quite connect or laugh or talk over them in the same way they are able to do.
Last night, completely alone, I went to a free flamenco concert in the plaza just in front of the catherdral here in Granada. On my way there I asked a couple for directions and they said they were going to the same concert. They kindly led me there. I lost them in the crowd because there must have been around 500 people in the concert. I found a place on the steps convinced that I wouldn´t find a free seat and a young couple squeezed in next to me and struck up a converstation. We chatted until the concert started and then we stood up and moved closer to the stage. Two young women stood very close to me and I started talking to them. A little girl who could barely see and who one of the woman didn´t know climbed up on her shoulders. Together, strangers connected by the space and the music, we enjoyed the preformance. It was strange to be alone but carry on several conversations in one night. Sure, these conversations are usually pretty meaningless but it does make me feel a little less alone. Not to mention that at night the streets are full of people and you can´t help but feel completely safe. Alone? Not exactly. I think Spanairds have different ideas about strangers. I can´t imagine any American parent being okay with a 5 year climbing up on the shoulders of someone they didn´t know or of squeezing in close and starting a conversation.
The flamenco concert was magnificent.There was a male dancer, something I´ve never seen, and 4 female vocalists. They also had a drummer and a violinist both rarities in Flamenco. Something about Flamenco´s mix of sorrow and elation draws me completely into the moment in a way that´s rare for me. The music, the expressions move me as much for their exoticness as for some shared emotion I feel I must experience in my most graceful moments. More to come...ANY COMMENTS??? IS ANYONE OUT THERE???
Monday, June 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Hey, lady-- congrats on handling all those kids-- I can't even imagine! Don't worry about your days alone-- I'm sure you'll keep busy and no doubt find 82 friends or so to keep you company :) Have loads of fun-- I'll be following along from my desk!
hugs--m
Hey Miz Maggie,
Sounds like you are having a good time.... you will make friends easily, I am sure!! Thanks very much for sending the tshirt. It made me so happy to see all the kids wearing it!! Enjoy beautiful spain....! Love K
PS...you need a google account or blogger account to post comments
I very much enjoyed your recollection of your time at the concert. It led me there....
I'm glad you had a chance to see something of the Flamengo that you hadn't seen before. I know you like that type of dance and music, but I guess it surprises me how the passion of it, the exoticness of it really touches you deeply.
I'm so happy to be able to read your blogs. I miss you.
Mom
I'm here, I'm here! Hehe. I really enjoy reading about your experiences. I hope it's enriching your experience to be able to reflect on everything that's happened. Enjoy and keep the entries coming! :)
Hey Maggie,
You have a great blog. I wish you could write one for me. I live for Barcelona on July 7th. I will look into finding a way down to Granada.
See you soon!
Post a Comment